Tuesday, 11 September 2012
Corner Leven & Esk Streets, Invercargill
A NZTE registered business training programme in governance.
The measure of performance of directors and boards of all organisations is that they continually enhance the performance of the organisation while ensuring their accountabilities are carried out.
The challenge to every director is in the application and practice of governance in this increasingly complex and demanding environment.
The purpose of the Governance in Practice programme is to equip directors, and aspiring directors, to address those challenges and to provide practical advice on applied governance, and aspects of both the “what” and “how” of governance.
This programme addresses good governance practice for company boards, public sector boards, not-for-profit boards, clubs, sports bodies, schools, trusts – any governance body.
At the completion of the programme participants will have the capabilities to
• Understand key success drivers to be a successful director
• Understand governance and the characteristics of a successful board
• Develop a strategic value-based leadership style
• Be equipped with a basic best practise governance “toolbox”
• Understand the strategic planning process
• Be able to minimise the risk of personal liability
• The role and key functions of governance
• Governance versus management
• Directors’ duties, responsibilities and accountabilities
• The practice of good governance
• The board and how a good board functions
• The role of the chairperson
• Board meetings and committees
• The board’s role in direction, strategy and strategic goals
• Measuring and monitoring performance
• Board decision making and audit responsibilities
• The management of risk
• Addressing the problems of dysfunctional boards
• Board, chairperson, director and management relationships
• Evaluating board, chairperson and director performance
You will be encouraged to participate, debate, develop creative ideas, test your judgement, defend your opinions - so that you will develop confidence to transform knowledge and inspiration into winning governance performance.
DURATION 1 day
FACILITATOR Doug Marsh from Christchurch
Doug is a
• Retired Canterbury based Chairman, Professional Director and Consul for Korea
• Justice of the Peace
• Life Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Management and Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Directors
• Inaugural President and Board Chairman Business New Zealand
• Three term President Canterbury Employers Chamber of Commerce
• Past National President New Zealand Institute Management.
His career spans forty years in listed company senior management and directorships within the following sectors
• Heavy engineering and plastics manufacturing
• Water infrastructure enhancement/irrigation
• Agriculture, horticulture and forestry sectors.
Doug studied governance best practice in New Zealand, Australia and Henley College UK. He is a frequent presenter of governance and strategic leadership programmes.
$ 525.00 + GST for NZIM and/or Employers' members
$ 685.00 + GST for non members
This programme has qualified for the NZTE Capability Development Voucher Scheme.