|Not a member? Sign up now!|
The Council today confirmed that the black bag refuse service will cease from 27 November 2009. Following this date people will need to make their own arrangements for kerbside refuse disposal. These methods may include:
1. Hire a wheelie bin from Transpacific Industries
2. Hire a wheelie bin from Awamoa Bins & Skips
3. Use the yellow bag service supplied by Transpacific Industries (bags can be purchased at supermarkets)
4. Take your refuse to the Resource Recovery Park, transfer station or landfill.
Council will cease the sale of black bags from 25 September 2009, which will allow two months for people to use up existing supplies. Once the bag collection ceases, people will still have the opportunity to take official black bags to the transfer stations and Palmerston landfill free of charge until 30 June 2010.
Anyone who wishes to exchange stockpiles of Council black bags for Transpacific Industries yellow refuse bags or Awamoa Bins & Skips white recycling bags can do so from 30 November 2009 until 31 January 2010, at either:
· Council headquarters, 20 Thames Street, or
· The Waihemo Centre, Palmerston
Bags will only be exchanged to the equivalent value.
The decision to exit the black bag service follows Council’s decision in the Long Term Council Community Plan to remove the funding of this service from the rates.