|Not a member? Sign up now!|
Over the next month, foreign tourists and Kiwis all across the north island will get a taste of Paeroa.
Last week, the official Tourism Paeroa promotional tour kicked off from Paeroa, as the official Tourism Paeroa van rolled out to promote the home of L&P as the hottest tourist destination in the country, if not the world.
“Paeroa’s got a lot to offer and it’s an undiscovered tourism hot spot full of wonders. The 7 Wonders of Paeroa in fact. We’re out to get people to discover them”, says Maurice Morrison, self-appointed Deputy Minister of Tourism to Paeroa, local wedding celebrant, and Communications Officer for The Paeroa PR Machine.
Over the coming weeks, the Roadshow will be stopping in Hamilton, Raglan, Rotorua, Te Puke, Taupo, Ohakune, Taihape, Dannevirke and Eketahuna, before arriving in Wellington in late November.
It’s there in the capital that they hope to meet up with Prime Minister and NZ Minister of Tourism John Key.
“He’s the key to our success,” says Maurice.
Maurice suggests that if people spot the van, they’re encouraged to engage with the official van driver, and Special Envoy to Tourism Paeroa – Colin Brown - and they might just be offered a free brochure or bottle of L&P.
Maurice is adamant that people are going to flock to Paeroa after this tour, because it’s got heaps more going for it than Rotorua or Queenstown. And even Thames.
“Many New Zealanders don’t realise there’s already a little bit of Paeroa in every town. In every fridge, in any place selling cold drinks you’ll find an L&P. But they really need to sample Paeroa for themselves.”
“Of course the L&P bottle itself is the most famous ambassador we’ve got. But the logistics of taking the bottle on tour were prohibitive, because it’s concrete. So we’ve taken Paeroa to New Zealand. In a van.”
When pressed for details, Maurice is a little hazy, but says that all is being revealed on the new modern, cutting-edge Tourism Paeroa website that, after a night class at Hamilton Tech, he’s personally developing - www.tourismpaeroa.co.nz
“People are going to be amazed at the wondrous wonders that wonderful Paeroa has to offer,” he says.
Notes for editors:
1. Paeroa is in the middle of everywhere. And we’re not going anywhere!
2. L&P is Paeroa’s most famous export. In fact it’s Paeroa’s only export. The Paeroa comes from Paeroa and the lemons come from somewhere else.
3. Visit Paeroa … please?
4. There is so much to say about Paeroa and the Tourism Paeroa Roadshow proves it.
5. Paeroa just missed out on the 1992 Summer Olympics but we’re positive we’ll nab the 2034 Winter Olympics. Watch this space!
6. Did we mention the free slab of L&P? Paeroa has a story to tell and you might just be the man/woman to tell it. I feel an award-winning Paeroa expose coming on!
Paeroa has -Pizzaz!