Basketball players all over Hutt City are gearing up for the first ever Street Ball Summer Slam 3 on 3 tournament that kicks off on Monday 11 January.
The Summer Slam tournament is a chance for aspiring “ballers” to show off their skills, have some fun, express themselves, represent their neighbourhood and compete for some great prizes from Rebel Sport.
Teams of up to four players can register for $5 per player in either the 13 to 15 year or 16 to 17 year old category. Along with sporting action, there will be music throughout the days from Secret Level DJ’s. Entries will be accepted on the day and each game will be a maximum of 15 minutes in length.
The winners of the each tournament get to compete at a finals day at Walter Nash Stadium on Saturday 16 January to determine the overall Hutt City champions. The top five teams from the tournament will also be invited to play against Wellington City teams at Waitangi Park on 6 February 2010.
Hutt City Council Recreation Coordinator and popular basketball identity Terry Stallworth says players only need to find a couple of friends to join them and they have a ready-made team.
“It’s fantastic to be able to organise an event that is open to the community and encourages them to get active and enjoy themselves. It’ll be great fun and I’m sure we will see some awesome skills on display.”
Registration from 11am. Games run 12 to 4pm
· Monday 11 January – Speldhurst Park, Evans Street, Stokes Valley
· Tuesday 12 January – McEwan Park, Marine Parade, Petone
· Wednesday 13 January – Taita College, Eastern Hutt Road, Taita
· Thursday 14 January – Walter Mildenhall Park, Vogel Street, Naenae (behind HV Badminton Association)
· Friday 15 January – Fredrick Wise Park, Fitzherbert Street, Wainuiomata.
· Saturday 16 January – Walter Nash Stadium, Taita (Finals Day)