Council has agreed to continue with the city’s graffiti vandalism rapid removal trial until 30 June 2012.
The trial, which was to end on January 31, aims to remove graffiti vandalism from business and residential property frontages within 48 hours.
Graffiti Eradication Coordinator Delly Ranginui says since September last year 86 per cent of graffiti vandalism reported was removed within 48 hours and extending the trial gives scope to build on this result.
“We’ve also had a great response from many in the community who have seen the results of the trial and been impressed at how quickly our contractor has acted.
“The trial has also allowed us to tackle the problem of removing graffiti vandalism from substations, power poles and utility cabinets in a more coordinated way with some utility companies asking Council to take over the ongoing removal of graffiti vandalism from their assets.
“We’ve also negotiated with KiwiRail a 12 month renewable permit to gain access to the rail corridor to service graffiti vandalism hot spots. With the extension of the trial we’ll now be able to make progress in this area which is something the public have been keen to see happen,” he says.