|Not a member? Sign up now!|
The two young Mosgiel men who were seriously burnt as a result of a gas explosion which occurred yesterday at a residential address in Mosgiel remain in a critical condition.
They are 17-year-old Brendon McLeod and 18-year-old Jamie Jury.
Mr McLeod has been transferred to the Burn Centre at Middlemore Hospital today while Mr Jury remains in Dunedin Public Hospital's Intensive Care Unit.
The incident occurred at approximately 2pm yesterday at an address in Gordon Road.
Police say investigations into the incident by Police and the NZ Fire Service suggest that the two young men were inhaling gas from an LPG bottle in the lounge at the home address of one of them, when the gas caught fire, igniting a fire ball in the room and setting their clothing on fire.
It is believed that the heat source for the explosion was an unflued gas fire run off an LPG bottle in the room. This gas fire also exploded, resulting in extensive damage to the walls, windows and ceilings of the house.
"This incident highlights the extreme dangers of handling LPG and other related products and the ease with which such gases can ignite. Tragically, this incident has had terrible consequences for the two young men involved. The message is simple: gas is an extremely dangerous and risky substance to play around with: don't do it," said Senior Sergeant Gavin Briggs.
Police have not yet been able to speak to the two young men because of the seriousness of their condition. They have also not yet managed to speak with a third person thought to be seen leaving the house at the time of the explosion but say that person is likely to have been a friend of the pair.