|Not a member? Sign up now!|
The maths are on Emirates Team New Zealand’s side.
With three days to race in the Audi MedCup Cagliari regatta the team has the 2010 season championship wrapped up.
The arithmetic shows that with five races to go at Cagliari, the team has a lead of 51.5 points over Quantum Racing. Even with the coastal race scoring 1.5 points per place (first earns 1.5, second 3 points and so on) NZL 380’s position at the top of the fleet for 2010 is secure.
The experts, having considered all the possibilities including NZL 380 not starting any more races, say the big fight is for the other placings.
Skipper Dean Barker, reflecting on a day of mixed fortunes after the team slipped to third overall at Cagliari, said: “The big story for us is that we have been able to seal the Audi MedCup season without having to do the last three days.
Not that there’s any chance the team won’t be at the start line. “They team is pleased to have the season wrapped up and now we can concentrate on winning this event.”
Racing today was in light sea breeze conditions. The breeze pattern altered from race to race as the split winds on either side of the course offered big opportunities for gains and losses, especially on the downwind legs.
Barker had no excuses for the performance in the day’s first race. “We couldn’t have had a worse start to the day. We were fourth at the first mark and managed to sail our way to the back of the fleet.
“It was a close race, just metres in it. At the finish there was less than a minute between first and last across the line.
“Just like yesterday we bounced back for a second and a third and finished the day third overall, seven points behind Matador and two behind Synergy.
“With two wins, it was Matador’s day. They’re sailing really well and we’ll have our work cut out for us to claw our way back up the leader board.”
On the first beat of the last race today Audi A1 and Bribon collided as Audi A1 tried to duck below the Spanish yacht. Both boats had to retire and Bribon will not be able to take any further part in the regatta.
Audi MedCup Circuit 2010
Leaderboard after Day 2 at Cagliari
1. Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL), 31.5+31+35+35.5+26= 159 points
2. Quantum Racing (USA), 59.5+22,5+44+53.5+31= 210.5
3. Matador (ARG), 60+27+67+45+19= 218
4. TeamOrigin (GBR), 59.5+31+63+46.5+29= 229
5. Artemis (SWE), 57+53+33+64+41= 248
6. Synergy (RUS), 64+35.5+73+68.5+24= 265
7. Audi A1 powered by ALL4ONE (FRA/GER), 51.5+29.5+84+78+31= 274
8. Bribón (ESP), 88+41+58+70+32= 283.5
9. Cristabella (GBR), 65+43.5+62+85.5+42= 298
10. Luna Rossa (ITA), 77.5+44.5+73+69+50= 319
Region of Sardinia Trophy
1. Matador (ARG), 2+8+2+1+5+1= 19 points
2. Synergy (RUS), 6+5+3+4+1+5= 24
3. Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL), 8+2+1+10+2+3= 26
4. TeamOrigin (GBR), 7+4+4+8+4+2= 29
5. Audi A1 powered by ALL4ONE (FRA/GER), 5+1+5+6+3+11(DNF)= 31
6. Quantum Racing (USA), 9+3+7+2+6+4= 31
7. Bribón (ESP), 1+9+8+3+8+11(DNF)= 40
8. Artemis (SWE), 3+6+10+5+9+8= 41
9. Cristabella (GBR), 4+10+6+9+7+6= 42
10. Luna Rossa (ITA), 10+7+9+7+10+7= 50