|Not a member? Sign up now!|
Auckland City Council and its contractor Fulton Hogan are committed to providing you with ongoing updates on the Central Connector. As part of this commitment, we send out a regular email with the latest project news.
• Surfacing works involving some road closures are planned for Symonds Street this week. Please see a full description of works at the bottom of this email.
• Basalt paving work will continue this week on the Symonds Street and Grafton Road corners.
• On Symonds Street between Wellesley Street and Alfred Street on the inbound side the motorcycle parking bays have been re-surfaced and need time to cure. Free undercover motorbike parking is available in the Owen G Glenn parking building on Grafton Road, or in the Victoria Street Car Park.
• Works have resumed between the Wellesley Street over bridge and the Pembridge Apartments on the outbound side of Symonds Street. New footpaths will be built once the foundations for the new bus shelters are complete.
• New work has started between Wakefield Street and Mount Street on the inbound side of Symonds Street. Test pits have been dug for the relocation of services. Access to apartments, offices and shops will be maintained at all times.
• This weekend a trench will be dug across the entrance to Whitaker Place from Symonds Street. Access for all traffic will be maintained but please plan for small delays.
• In Grafton, between the Domain entrance and Carlton Gore Road on the outbound side, the footpath is being replaced. Pedestrians should use the other side of the street and cross only at the pedestrian crossings. Traffic wishing to turn right from Park Road into Carlton Gore Road will need to detour down Boyle Crescent and Glasgow Terrace for the duration of this work. Works will be complete in April.
• On Park Road outside the shops, water main work is now complete. Stormwater works are continuing and footpath works are scheduled to start in April.
Symonds Street resurfacing work
Auckland City Council advises that road works on a short section of Symonds Street will impact general traffic movement in the area, during specific times, between Thursday 19 March and Wednesday 25 March.
The section from the Grafton Road / Alfred Street intersection to the Wellesley Street over bridge will be re-surfaced, as part of the Central Connector project – a dedicated 24 hour busway that will link the CBD and Newmarket once completed in early 2010.
The work will require the closure of this specific portion of Symonds Street to all traffic from 7pm Friday, 20 March to 6am Monday, 23 March. However, disruption will be experienced in this area outside of these times.
The council and its contractor have decided to undertake the partial closure over the weekend to ensure that weekday commuter traffic is not affected. Work will be undertaken 24 hours a day to ensure it is completed as quickly as possible. Motorists travelling in the vicinity of this area over that weekend are advised to take alternative routes.
Traffic detours will be in place. Inbound traffic travelling into the city will be directed down Wakefield Street. Traffic approaching this section of Symonds Street from the opposite direction will be detoured along Grafton Road and Wellesley Street.
Some bus stops will require relocation. The Auckland Regional Transport Authority (ARTA) is working closely with bus operators to ensure services continue to run smoothly in the area. Maxx ambassadors will be on hand during peak travel times to help direct commuters.
This work is weather dependent. If the work is unable to be carried out due to wet weather, it will take place from Thursday 26 March to Wednesday 1 April. Additional rain dates are as follows:
2 - 8 April
9 -15 April (Easter weekend)
16 -22 April
The Council will communicate the partial closure through electronic message boards on Symonds Street and radio announcements.
Work summary for Symonds Street section between the Grafton Road / Alfred Street intersection to the Wellesley Street overbridge:
• Thursday 19 March from 7pm to 6am Friday 20 March: this section will have a single lane of traffic on the outbound side, travelling out of the city. Inbound traffic, travelling into the city will be detoured along Wakefield Street.
• Friday 20 March from 9am to 3.30pm: this section will be closed to general traffic. It will have a single lane, for outbound buses only, travelling out of the city.
• Friday 20 March 7pm, to Monday 23 March 6am: this section will be closed to general traffic, with access only for scheduled bus services and local residents from Wakefield Street to Wellesley Street.
• Monday 23 March from 7pm to Tuesday 24 March 6am: this section will have a single lane for all outbound traffic, travelling out of the city.