|Not a member? Sign up now!|
Council has approved a Heritage Incentive Grant of up to $884,750 for conservation and maintenance work for the former Woods Brothers’ Flour Mill buildings in Addington.
The buildings at 14 Wise Street Addington were established by the Woods Brothers in 1890. They are listed as a Group 2 protected heritage item in the Christchurch City Plan, and registered by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust as a Category II historic place. They have historical and social significance as one of the largest former mills in the South Island.
Mayor Bob Parker says that he is delighted that the grant paved the way for work to be undertaken on a group of buildings that are highly valued by many in the community.
“After experiencing a great deal of loss with our heritage it is wonderful to be able to turn our attention to caring for a group of buildings which has been such an important part of the social and built fabric of what is now our inner city. This mill is in many ways the embodiment of Addington’s rich industrial history.
The scope of conservation and maintenance works includes structural strengthening of the mill building and grain store to comply with the current building code. Extensions to the roof of the mill and the 1950’s link to the grain store are to be removed, and the exterior shell of the 1924 extension designed by the Luttrell Brothers’ retained. The mill and grain store buildings are to be repaired and altered to accommodate new uses. Fire sprinklers and alarms are to be installed along with an electrical upgrade.
Payment of the grant will be subject to the applicant entering into a full conservation covenant with the Council, and to a code compliance certificate. Council’s heritage conservation policy states that a full conservation covenant is required for all heritage incentive grants of $50,000 or more.
• The original six bay mill was designed by leading industrial architect J C Maddison.
• By 1936 the Addington Mill had the largest output in the South Island, 33 sacks of flour per hour.
• The mill continued to be owned and operated by the Wood family until 1970, at which date the complex was closed and sold.
• Since that date the mill complex has been used for a variety of functions including residential.
• As well as the mill and grain store buildings, there were several associated buildings and structures including the brick silo and chimney (both demolished as a result of earthquake damage), which are included in the listing.
• The original construction of the mill was strengthened to withstand the weight and vibrations of the machinery it was built to house.
• Along with the Addington Railway workshops, the mill was one of the major employers in the area.
Definition of a Code compliance certificate (CCC): A certificate issued by a building consent authority at the completion of building work, confirming that the building work complies with the building consent.