Rodney District Council
Business // Council // Auckland
Member since: 1 November 2007
Profile views: 2010
Rodney District was constituted in 1989 as part of Local Government reform throughout New Zealand at that time. The principal effect of the reform in this case was the amalgamation of the former Helensville Borough with the former Rodney County. Rodney District appears to have taken it's name from Cape Rodney, a headland at the north of the curve of Omaha Bay, 2km north-east of Leigh on the east coast of the District. The cape was named by Captain James Cook, on 24 November 1769, after the British admiral, Sir George Bridges Rodney (1719-92), later the 1st Baron Rodney, who won several important naval battles against French, Spanish, and Dutch forces.