TV

Breakfast host's cereal offending must prompt TVNZ rethink

Friday 8 October 2010, 10:20AM
By Green Party
115 views


TVNZ needs to reconsider its decision to allow Paul Henry back on screen in a week’s time, Green Party human rights spokesperson Keith Locke said today.

Since Paul Henry’s comments regarding the Governor General Sir Anand Satyanand more ethnic slurs have been highlighted in the media. New Zealand's High Commissioner to India, Rupert Holborow, has apologised for Mr Henry’s anti-Indian comments after being summoned by the Government in Delhi.

“Mr Henry’s comments have the potential to seriously damage relations between New Zealand and India,” said Mr Locke.

“It’s good that Mr Holborow, in his apology to the Indian Government, has recognised Mr Henry’s comments are ‘racist’, and taken a stronger stance than our Government did previously.

“New Zealand’s apology to the Indian Government will sound hollow if Paul Henry resumes fronting the Breakfast programme in a week’s time,” said Mr Locke.

“Mr Henry’s unfortunate and repeatedly racist comments have no place on New Zealand’s flagship morning news and current affairs show.

“Our state broadcaster needs to show more clearly, by its actions, that it won’t tolerate these outbursts.”