The Otago Regional Council (ORC) is seeking public input on its new flood protection bylaw. The bylaw was publicly notified at the weekend.
ORC is changing it to ensure that these regulations continue to operate effectively by protecting the integrity of the council’s flood protection works.
ORC director policy and resource planning Fraser McRae said the proposed changes to the bylaw include:
- Simplification of wording to ensure that rules are clear, concise and consistent
- Modification of maps showing flood protection works
- Extension of a scheduled drain (East Taieri)
- Extension of the Lower Clutha floodway.
The following flood protection works would be added into the bylaw descriptors and maps:
- Overland flow paths to preserve flow between catchments and scheduled drains (East and West Taieri)
- Floodbanks (Henley, Mill Stream, and Riverside Road)
- Lower Taieri River floodway
- East Taieri Silver Stream floodway
- Miller Road Contour Channel floodway
- Otokia Road Contour Channel floodway
- Henderson and Waikoura Creeks floodway
- Groynes, cross-banks, anchored tree protection and plantings adjacent to the Lower Waitaki River.
Members of the public have until 5pm on Tuesday June 5 to make a submission. A hearing has been planned for July, with a decision due to be released in August.
For more information contact the ORC policy team on 0800 474 082 or email email@example.com