One gold, three silver and four bronze make up the medal count for Rangi Ruru Girls’ School at the South Island Secondary School’s Athletics Championships held in Timaru over the weekend.
Top performer was 14 year old Brittany Wang who won gold in the U15 triple jump.
Rangi Ruru Director of Sport, Jo Fogarty says to come home with eight medals and personal bests for each individual competitor are magnificent achievements for an inexperienced group.
“Considering few of our girls compete in the regular athletics competition in Christchurch, our results show just how talented our Rangi Ruru sportswomen are. We are excited by the potential this group presents and look forward to developing the squad,” said Ms Fogarty.
The medal winners are:
· 1 x Gold – Brittany Wang – U15 Triple Jump
· 2 x Silver – Ashleigh Leonard – U16 Hurdles and Shotput
· 1 x Silver – U14 Relay team (by 600ths of a sec) – Amelie Spinks, Meredith Seeto, Chloe Berge, Lauren Staplyton-Smith
· 2 x Bronze – Lauren Staplyton-Smith – U14 Triple Jump and Long Jump
· 1 x Bronze – Meredith Seeto – U14 400m
· 1 x Bronze – Hanna Malloch – U19 Polevault