As expected, Mountain Scene’s Thriller in the Chiller on Sunday evening (27 June) was a knockout. The sold-out event with a 1,400-strong crowd got right behind the charity boxing event.
Sugar Ray Leonard, one of the world’s best boxers of all time, making a special appearance.
Winners of the three-round boxing bouts were:
• Battle of the Entertainers Shaun 'The Mantis' Vining and Shay 'The Muss' Muddle : winner ‘The Mantis’ Vining
• Battle of the Chefs: Bathhouse’s Dugi 'Duganaught' Anderson and Sombreros Mexican Cantina’s Drew 'Hot Jalapeno' Harmer : winner ‘Duganaught’ Anderson
• Mr Golf v Mr Wine: golf enthusiast Ben 'Bandy The Basher' O’Malley from Millbrook Resort wine buff Tom 'Tommy Tiger' Macaulay from Amisfield Winery : this round was a majority draw
• Big Bets v Bungy Cords: new recruit Justine ‘Quick Draw’ McCall from SKYCITY Casino AJ Hackett Bungy’s Vicki ‘Pow Pow’ Zadrozny : winner ‘Pow Wow’ Zadrozny
• Battle of he Media: Richard 'Ginga Stinger' Thomas from Mountain Scene newspaper and local Radioworks boss Tim 'The Rock' Lockhart : winner ‘Ginga Stinga’ Thomas
• Celebrity Bout: Tawera ‘The Matahuru Mauler’ Nikau v Russell ‘The Hitman’ Harrison : winner ‘The Matahuru Mauler’ Nikau
• Blue collar v White Collar: ANZ Bank’s Elliot 'The Money Shot' Daniel takes on Stewart Motors mechanic Luke 'The Smasher' Smeets : winner ‘The Smasher’ Smeets
• Battle of the bars - longtime Chico’s owner Grant 'The Brain Eraser' Murphy Revolver’s Jono 'The Stampeding Southpaw' Stapleton : winner ‘The Stampeding Southpaw’ Stapleton
• Battle of Real estate: Harcourts’ Richie 'The Assassin' Anderson and Albert 'The Velvet Sledgehammer' Voschezang from Bayleys : winner ‘The Assassin’ Anderson
• Trade Off: Local sparky Lee 'Lights Out' Exell and stonemason Scott 'The Golden Bear' Winter : winner ‘The Golden Bear’ Winter
The Festival fun continues today with the Lindauer Ladies Fashion Afternoon and Canadian Club Comedy Gala. The rest of the week is jam-packed with outrageous events which include the annual street party, dodgeball, drag racing, on-mountain action, and the ever popular Lindauer Jazz Night.
The American Express Queenstown Winter Festival runs from 25 June to 4 July 2010. For more information or for a programme please phone 0800 FESTIVAL (03 441 2453) or visit the Festival website www.winterfestival.co.nz.