Four lucky New Zealanders are set to make a packet as Bluebird announces the finalists in its popular Do Us A Flavour competition. The competition attracted over 28,000 entries from all corners of the country and four chip-lovers have their flavours set to hit the shelves in supermarkets, dairies and service stations around New Zealand.
The winner will scoop $20,000 and two percent of sales for as long as their flavour is sold as well as making national chip history. The three runners up receive $5,000 each.
Judges had the unenviable task of sifting through a mountain of entries to select just four finalists. The four flavours are about to be put to a nationwide taste test as New Zealanders are urged to cast their vote on Bluebird’s newest chip flavours - the ultimate winner being decided by a combination of sales and online public votes.
The faces behind the flavours are:
· Cheesy Garlic Bread – Medical Recruiter Hayley Kyte from Queenstown
· Butter Chippin’ – Born and bred Bay of Plenty Mum, Tiina Sirkku from Ohope
· Paua Fritters with Lemon Wedges – Auckland Mum of one (and soon to be two) Mirta Fagundes dos Santos
· ‘Sunday Roast’ (the crispy bits left in the pan) – New Plymouth family man David Martin
Head judge and acclaimed Chef, Al Brown was really impressed with the final flavours:
“For all the fancy ciabatta, crusty sour dough and focaccia breads, 'Cheesy Garlic Bread' has been New Zealand's favourite posh bread through the decades.....it’s a no brainer as a chip flavour for this country. Butter Chippin’ is a great way to celebrate our wonderfully diverse cultural mix. This classic curry flavour is the first introduction to Indian cuisine most kiwi kids experience.
“Sunday Roast (the crispy bits left in the pan) is the sole reason I have been volunteering to 'carve' since being allowed to hold a sharp knife. And my personal favourite, Paua Fritters and Lemon Wedges, celebrates one of the many bounties from our precious waters which evoke similar childhood memories in so many of us.
“Now it’s up to Kiwis to go into store, buy the flavours then vote for their favourite online at www.bluebird.co.nz,” says Brown.
Since discovering their flavours were selected back in July, the four finalists have been sworn to secrecy, not able to breathe a word to anyone, not even their families. David Martin found keeping it a secret the hardest part of the whole competition, “I was so excited when I found out I naturally wanted to jump up and down and tell my wife and kids. Keeping quiet for two months has been torture. I am so pleased I can now talk about it as I am over the moon about making the finals.”
Bluebird Managing Director, Gerard Smith, says “We were confident Kiwis would come up with some incredibly creative flavours but the quality and sheer volume of entries was unbelievable! And even more amazing when you think the challenge was not only coming up with a great flavour, but people had to upload a creative and original image depicting their flavour. Where we had multiple entries of the same flavour, judges had to look at the photographs and also any inventive flavour names to pick our four finalists.”
Online voting opens at midday Monday 20 September and closes at midnight Saturday 6 November with the ultimate winner revealed in early December.
Visit www.bluebird.co.nz to vote for your favourite flavour.
Fast Facts about Do Us A Flavour
· 28,889 entries were received during the promotion
· The finalist flavours are available at supermarkets, petrol stations and dairies across NZ from around 20th September until stocks last
Notes for Editors
· Voting opens midday Monday 20 September 2010
· Voting closes at midnight Saturday 6 November 2010
· The winner will be announced in early December 2010
· Winner will be chosen based on a combination of sales and online votes
· The winner receives $20,000 and 2% net sales revenue - based upon net sales received by Bluebird from its distributors less discounts, allowances and sales, up to a maximum of $100,000 per year
· The other 3 finalists will receive $5,000 each
· Full T&Cs available at www.bluebird.co.nz