Early yesterday afternoon a three year old boy was attacked by a relatives dog, at a local address, that the boy was visiting.
It would appear that the dog attempted to keep the chocolate that the boy was eating.
He was bitten in the throat area, sustaining serious injuries.
First Aid was administered at the address by occupants prior to the Ambulance Staff arrival. He was taken to the Ashburton hospital where he was stabilished, before being transferred to Christchurch Hospital.
He is currently in a critical condition but stable.
All Police enquires have been completed, and there will be no further action taken by Police.
The matter is now being handled by the Local Council.