A recent study from Comscore found that Facebook remains the goliath of social media, leading all social networks with 81% reach of the total digital population in the U.S. and nearly 230 billion minutes of user engagement. With time spent that is 18x that of the next biggest social network, Instagram. The question is, does this apply to New Zealand?
According to Nielsen, Facebook has a unique audience of over 2.7 million Kiwis who visit the site making it the top ranking social media site in New Zealand. Earlier this year, the first release of New Zealand specific Facebook usage data was shared by newly appointed Head of Facebook New Zealand, Spencer Bailey.
In an interview with Bailey, he said that “Today, for over 2.5 million New Zealanders, Facebook is an integral part of their lives. [It] has become one of the most exciting and effective ways for businesses to connect and engage with Kiwis.” (www.tvnz.co.nz)
So what is a typical Kiwi Facebook user? FIRST created an Infographic that walks you through key 2015 New Zealand Facebook Statistics - demographics, usage and trends. You'll be seeing interesting figures such as:
- Over 2 million (on average) Kiwis use Facebook everyday
- 82% of mums access Facebook
- 80% of Kiwis on Facebook discover products and brands on the platform
- Entertainment (71%) and New Food & Recipes (65%) are the top two categories Kiwis learn more about in Facebook and/or visit a business's website
- Over 4 billion video views every day on Facebook across the globe